Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The best intentions

I love my cast iron skillet.  I mean I love it.  Part of why is because it is easy to clean.  That is only when you can take care of it right away.  More often than I care to admit, I do not get to it immediately. That means I am struggling to get all the cooked on bits off, without loosing all the good flavor I've cooked into it.  I happened across this a few days ago and gave it a shot the last time I found myself in this situation.

Salt Scrub. Here's the best way to clean cast iron: Scrub it with coarse salt and a soft sponge. The salt, a natural abrasive, absorbs oil and lifts away bits of food while preserving the pan's seasoning. Rinse away salt and wipe dry.


This one worked great!  I did actually forget about it until I was already into my regular process. When I remembered, I poured a bunch of salt into the pan and everything came up easy peasy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment